Friday, May 13, 2011

A thank you note my mom didn't make me write

Dear Readers,

This is a thank you note. To you, for the community you built here on my blog. Below is a random thank you note that really has nothing to do with this post but is from what is, hands down, the coolest blog around, thxthxthx. Check it out. (but don't be an ingrate, read your thank you card first, okay?)

 Now onto the business of thanking you.

"In a community of relationships, we are less judgmental and more forgiving of each other so as not burn bridges. In a community of relationships, I come to know that you want the best for me, so when you help me question my own thinking, I can more easily hear it and not get defensive." Kristin Maschka.
The author contends that this can not happen online. And while I wholeheartedly agree that we need real, face-to-face time to nurture our non-virtual relationships...something very real and very magical  is happening with the "Hey Mothers" community.

There is some difference because I personally know so many of my readers. But I don't know all of you, and you certainly don't all know each other. Still our exchanges feel safe, positive, kind, and productive. Even those who don't comment online have let me know through emails, actual mail, and phone calls that they feel exactly the same way.

I am so grateful to each of you. You have totally flipped me on issues, given me ideas I never would have thought of, called out my errors, and supported me. I marvel at my immediate access to wisdom, advice, tips, tricks, and thought  provoking conversation. I don't know how anyone parents without a blog, I just know I wouldn't want to.
Here is my great-grandma parenting without a blog. And yet she still smiled. People were so brave back then.
So now I want to hear from you. How do blogs and message boards influence your parenting and your life? What rules for civil discourse do you take into the virtual world? Why are we so awesome? What other great blogs can you share? How do you build your non-virtual village? What groups and activities help you process and parent at your best?

Lots of love and gratitude to you, gentle readers!
-Sister1

7 comments:

  1. Aw, gee thanks. And thank you for being the most genuinely kind and supportive friend a girl could have. I love seeing that you have posted a new entry. It gives me something to think about, gives me a little peek into your head, (which I love what I see, btw) and helps me to try to be a more present and aware parent. And how do blogs influence my life? Well, your lovely little one inspired me to start a crazy blog/improve my life scheme. Not sure how that is going to work out yet, but so far it has been good for me.

    Loved loved loved the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay,
    You have such access into my head that you were able to discern that I LOVE comments; it's like your some kind of mind reader! Thank you for your continued support of my life, marriage, parenting, body image, love of processing, etc etc both on my blog in person. It's nice to have a friend who can look in your head and not run away screaming.

    BTW readers-look for my plug of Kay's good blog coming in the next entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed something magical DOES happen here. Like Kay, I look forward to every new post and get excited when I see a new one pop up on my screen! This blog is like a constant, steady doseage of self-help. It helps me be a better parent and a better friend to myself. This blog makes me ponder things that I would probably not even cross my mind otherwise. That is why I LOVE it!
    TDOG

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. You asked what other blogs we like--This is a REALLY funny blog. My friend Kevin writes it. She is hilarious.
    Tdog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tdog, what is the link to Kevin's blog? Kevin is SOOOO funny, I can't wait to visit.

    Thanks for both your kind words and your regular contributions to my blog and my life. I feel so richly blessed by my community of family and friends; me so lucky. ga.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you, I could not imagine parenting without a blog. I feel so fortunate to know that there are other moms out there with experiences like mine, and if not, to be able to laugh at mine. Sometimes a little laugh is *really* the best medicine.

    We are both lucky gals (no, really)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ASM,

    Yes! That connectivity! It really does give you that village, opposite of isolated feeling. And a good laugh and moment of recognition is really excellent medicine.

    I am pretty Luddite-ish about lots of technology and think it is really tempting to over-do it, but my blog would have to ripped out of my cold, dead hands to paraphrase the late Charlton Heston. Thanks ASM!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails